Thursday, July 9, 2009

Adoption Times

Hey everyone! I can't even begin to say thank you enough for all the words of support and encouragement seriously...It makes my heart smile reading every comment and encouraging word!

So it's official that we are on the list! Our profile won't be shown until we actually get it done ( obviously right ? :) but we read an awesome book about writing a Dear Birthmother letter from a sweet blogger friend ( Thank you Janna!!!) The book is called Reaching Out by Nelson Handel. Check it out if you are in the process of adopting as it is awesome!

So our little face to face meeting went awesome. We met with the lawyer. And just to clarify we are using an adoption facilitator ( simply said a match making service between the birthmother and adoptive parents) that is run by a lawyer. So it's a lawyer/facilitator in one. And being in Southern California where their office is located Mr. G, owner of the company, will indeed be our lawyer and stand by our side on adoption day. Our meeting was actually with him and he made us feel so great and so at ease...Only negative I have heard about the office at all is with accounting so I will make sure and bake that lady some cookies to keep her on our good side :)

Nothing to much to report at the meeting we got some sample Dear Birthmother letters and a ton of paper work to fill out and we're off and running. My hubby is taking a " mancation" this weekend so I will do my part of the letter then when he gets back he can work on his and most of the paper work is a one man job. Name, address, phone, etc. Basic stuff. Hubby and I both decided to write a Dear Birthmother letter and how we see it looking and being without influencing the other and then come together to compare, share, and make a second draft. We'll probably make like 5 drafts within a week but we want it to be perfect. Mr. G said it perfectly " There is nothing you can do to make the process go faster. The best thing you can do for yourself is make the best Birthmother letter possible." So that is what we'll do!

I have a completely renewed sense of hope and excitement! It's so different from infertility yet so similar. The fear of the unknown, the hope, the excitement and of course THE WAITING!

Again thank you all so much for your love! My main family has been so incredible to me and hubby, being so supportive and excited for us, other family members not so much, so reading all your suport totally helps me so much!

I'll keep ya'll updated on everything as we go along and probably even post a couple polls with picture opinions. They say your profile pictures are SO IMPORTANT so we'll see what the judges say :)

16 comments:

Amber said...

So glad to hear that everything went to so well. Very interesting to hear you arent going through a agency is it cheaper to do it that way by chance? We are still weighing out all our options for sure:)

RB said...

Welcome to the waiting stage :) We chose to go with a facilitator as well, however our facilitator isn't an attorney. I think the most important thing is that you feel comfortable with whoever you sign on with and it seems like you clicked! May your wait be a short one :)

sweetpeanme said...

I love watching your story unfold...adoption is definitely not far from my mind...I think its something God has laid on my heart for sure....and I'm super excited for you as you embark on this adventure!!!
So glad you're working with the "head" guy...you know you're in good hands! :o)

B MoM said...

yay! good luck. I was just noticing, that its nice to feel in control of something (or at least somethings, like the letter and the photos and such) for a change! =)

Rob & Lindsey said...

That is so exciting!! I am so happy that everything is coming together so well!! Praying for you!

twondra said...

I'm soooo glad things went well! How exciting!!!

Melissa said...

It's great to hear that everything is working out well! I also think baking the cookies for the lady in accounting would be GREAT! lol

Dianne said...

That is wonderful!!! I'm sorry you aren't feeling the love from some of your other family members! It is so easy for them to judge our actions when ther had absolutuely no problems getting pregnant themselves! Oh well just focus on the postive people in your life - it sounds like the ones who matter most are being very supportive which is awesome!!!

Good Luck!!!!

I can't wait to read about the day when you get your angel!!!

Brooke said...

This just gets more exciting by the day. And unlike TTC you know that what you are doing each day is actually going to get you closer to your baby! That is something to cheer for. I hope you can come up with a great birth Mom letter and your little one will be on the way soon.

sarah @ life {sweet} life said...

Congrats...how exciting!! I remember the relief when we turned our app in...now just anticipating the day we "go live"!:) Good luck with all the paperwork..that part is NO fun. Oh and I think your approach to the birthmother letter is great...will be really neat to combine yours with your hubby's!

Janna said...

I'm thrilled for you guys! The adoption process is full of excitement, and if you're anything like me, I got more excited each time we finished something. Before you know it your letter and your profile will be in a birthmother's hands. I so look forward to celebrating the day you are holding your precious baby in your arms!!!

Kellie said...

I had to put that disclaimer in my post or my relatives will get a little to pushy with their opinions! Glad to see I'm not the only one...lol! I would agree that pictures are so important, I've done a couple polls as well on my blog. I think that it's best to look as good as you can because a picture literally is worth a thousand words. A few of the other couples online with the ministry we are using look like their pictures are from the 80's! I wanted mine to be recent and when I had spent the time to do my hair and makeup, lol! Anyways, for sure post some and I'd be happy to vote or leave you a comment! And that sounds like a great idea about the birthmother letter. We basically sat down together and came up with topics that we wanted in the letter, and then I typed it up and we read it together and made changes. It sounds like a big job but once you get started, it surprisingly flowed pretty easy.
Looking forward to the day where both of our blogs have pictures of our newborns on it!

Meant to be a mom said...

Thats such great news to hear everything is really in motion now.
I can't believe it! It seems like you guys are getting closer and closer to getting a special call that your going to be parents.

Nelson Handel said...

I'm so glad you found the book useful. Best of luck!

Jill said...

I'm so happy for you! This is a big step in the process. Good for you all. Hopeing you don't have to wait too long.

LL said...

I found your blog thru Wendy's and i think you may also follow Joy's. We used the same adoption attorney that Joy did and I think you may be going through them also.

Best wishes! it will be a fun ride! We were matched w/in 5 months and now have a beautiful baby girl! But yes, keep a close eye on the acct dept. The lady is nice to work with and will actuall "help" you reduce some fees but they can let some things become a pain.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin