Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Baby Deals

First I want to say this little bug pictured above is priceless. We would have traveled to the moon and back a million times to have her. She is our joy and our whole world and there is no dollar amount that could ever be put on the love we feel for our daughter but...

Adoption is expensive. If you've gone through it you know. I don't mean like " Wow that's a family vacation" expensive I mean like " that's a nice new car and then some" expensive. We have been so blessed to have so much support when it comes to baby items. Hubby and my parent's purchased us our furniture, we obviously got a ton of items at our shower ( we have yet to buy diapers, clothes, wipes, and then some) and we have received many hand me down and borrowed items as well.

I can honestly say I wouldn't have it any other way. In such a " show off" society that we live in I like that we are learning to really stretch the dollar to really give Faith all she could ever need and more but doing it smartly and on a budget.

Examples

Our crib ( which is gorgeous and solid and coverts to a toddler bed and then full size) was purchased at Walmart with the mattress for under $250

Instead of a changer we got a dresser from IK.EA ( which was slightly pricey) but she can use it forever when we no longer need the changer aspect of it. It's big and beautiful and will last a long time to come.

I really wanted a baby movement monitor for my own peace of mind. This one retails at $119.99 new. It has 2 sensor pads and runs on batteries. I found it on craigs.list for $60. The lady had used it for her baby who is now 15 months and was passing it along at a great price to give a fellow mommy a good nights sleep. I no longer get up 15 times to check on Faith ( I only get up like 5 now :) It came in the box perfect condition all instructions everything.One of my best friends "M" lent us so many things including two big ticket items like a swing and an infant car seat. By being able to borrow these items ( her baby is 18 months so obviously doesn't need them right now) we saved well over $200. Sure one day we will need to buy our own swing and car seat ( baby #2 ) but today we are happy to borrow these items from a wonderful friend who has lent them to us.

I love Baby Ein.stein but don't want to spend all that money for DVD's, so we borrowed them again from "M"

And also from "M" a borrowed snap and go which up until yesterday has been our only stroller and a God send...
I heard rave reviews about the mob.y but I couldn't see paying so much money for a long piece of fabric. I found a girl online who makes them for $20 and I couldn't be happier.

I purchased a baby B.jorn for hubby to use as a carrier ( a little manlier than the mo.by :) on craigs for $10

I went to a consignment sale a few weeks back got our bottle steamer for $6
I love those giant head bands for babies. So I found 6 of the head bands and am making the flowers to go on top for $5.

Her bedding set came from Walmart included with mobile, 4 piece bedding, rug, decorative pillow, hanging lamp, diaper stacker and wall boarder for $70.

My mom purchased a practically new Chi.cco highchair at a garage sale for $10

And my most recent awesome find (purchased by Faith's Papa my Dad) a B.O.B Revolut.ion! Brand spanking new, never used, with instructions, only taken out of the box for pictures, for under $300. Now some may think this wasn't a great deal because $300 is a lot for a stroller but because this is such a super stroller we know it will last forever and if need be we could sell it for more than we bought it for! I know a lot of people get numerous strollers for numerous reasons, but we were blessed to borrow a snap and go and received a umbrella stroller at our shower for quick trips and now have a BOB for all the adventures and everyday walks we plan on taking! With gift cards I ordered the car seat adapter and handle bar accessory for the BOB. All those items brand new would have been over $500 with tax and shipping so at under $300 I think it was a great find and we know it is a great stroller!

Other quick saves, we don't need a monitor living in an apartment right now so we didn't spend money on one, we got her baby bath tub at IKEA brand new for $6, using the BUM.BO as her booster seat for a while, UP & U.P Target formula which literally has the exact same ingredients as the SIM.ILAC and is $10 cheaper a can, as well as hand me down clothes and a hand me down Halloween costume I am saving for next year. I am using a super cute bag I used for school as my diaper bag ( its simple, classy, and black to match anything).

I sign up for every website imaginable that sends coupons and freebies in the mail. I am a avid coupon cutter and never buy something without some sort of discount.

I'm sure I am missing some things but the point has been made!

To a certain extent, children are expensive no matter how you put it. We just feel there are a million ways to make having children more affordable and still giving them everything they need and more. Faith lacks nothing and will never want for anything. It might not always be brand new and the most expensive thing on the market, but she will always be loved and always have the world at her fingertips.

All this being said I in no way judge people who buy new fancy things! That's so great you can do that. I am simply writing from our situation and ways in which we have saved money.

6 comments:

Meant to be a mom said...

I think its awesome how much money you've been able to save. Kids are soooo expensive. Adopted or ivf kids especially but like you said its totally worth it. Its so nice to have family to help buy some of the items we need. My hubby and I were blessed with very giving family and friends as well and it means so much to us that they all did these things for us. I'm so happy that you guys have a good support system and friends and family too.

B MoM said...

I just bought a pricey bedding set at BRU which I was not sure was worth it (even though it was on clearance!). After reading your post, I'm going to check out Walmart's selections. Thanks for the tips!

Anonymous said...

I HOPE we have such generous family and friends when we become parents. Awesome deals and hand- me-downs are the best!! My sister in law has a BOB that's on "extended loan" from a friend and she says it's the best thing ever.

jodilee0123 said...

You are going to love your BOB! Well worth every penny spent. It kind of bites that you have to buy all the accessories too, but they are well worth it also! We are second hand junkies here. There are beautiful things out there for a fraction of the cost. It allows you to use your money on the things that you need too. Sams club has huge cans of formula for $20. Our son was able to use it. Our daughter had acid reflux so we had to use gentle ease for her (which we used the target brand until Sam's came out with one.) Don't ever feel silly by spending the way you do. It's smart--and someday may be the key in being able to financially adopt another child. Now that's important! :0) Both you know and I know that Faith is not loved any less because you didn't pay full price for something. You are thinking about her future!

Shannon said...

thanks so much for posting all your great deals!! I have been looking on kijiji and finding deals but have only purchased on thing for now.

Melissa said...

Very cool! Love your finds and the dresser is amazing. Good idea with the dresser - just adding a changing pad on top so she can use it in the future.

My sister adopted a boy, he's 9 now, but we get his clothes from Goodwill or garage sales. Boys grow up so fast and really only wear them for oh, a week.

But seriously...now I feel so guilty with just looking at Pottery Barn Kids. However, I'd never be able to afford that place :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin