Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Honesty and Sleep

Honestly I haven't been getting any ( sleep that is) ....OK that's not entirely true but none the less sleep has been rough....

But you see I have a incredibly hard time being honest on my blog about certain things. Very rarely will you hear ( read) me complaining about anything with Faith...notice I said rarely not never :)

But the truth is these last couple weeks have been so hard! One and only reason sleep. During the day she is an angel. Seriously I am so incredibly deeply in love with her and I Fall harder and harder everyday. She is such a incredible joy and no words could express how much I love this amazing little girl of mine.

But since she has become Houdini and managed to unswaddle herself out of anything and everything she no longer sleeps swaddled. Which meant for the last couple weeks, she no longer sleeps more than 1-2 hour increments.

I slightly mentioned this in a previous post but not in depth how rough it was. I mean up at 1am-2am-3am etc etc. It was so hard.

I felt very isolated and alone for those weeks. Not because I don't have wonderful friends who understand but because I feel so so bad complaining about anything when it comes to Faith because I feel like it would make me look ungrateful. And I'm not...not in the slightest bit.

Praise the Lord this week has gotten a lot better. She is only waking up twice during the night and it is mainly for feedings. We are trying to adjust her to eating more during the day but she is basically eating half during the day and half of her feedings at night...We're working on it but in the mean time hubby and I are up around 1am and around 5am before starting our day between 6:30am-7:00am.

So yeah that's my story for this past week or so...Pretty tired but so deeply grateful for this smile.


16 comments:

LL said...

I am so sorry to that you are not getting much sleep. Do you think Faith may be teething? I know with Shelby when she's teething, her sleep patterns are much like Faith's. Every 1 1/2 to two hours.It is torture! It does get better...until the next tooth shows up.

Deb said...

It's hard but eventually you will begin to realize that it is okay to complain just a little. Especially here on your blog. It's really good for PAP's that are reading to know that you're just a real mom that has challenges too. I had a waiting mom tell me that, so I got it first hand. But I was the same way as you and still think very carefully before I complain or vent any parenting woes.

Sleep, it's an issue with us that is finally working itself out so I get you. When we started to wean her off the bottle at night we first tackled the multiple bottle. Think the way we did that was by getting her up before she woke to eat and then making that time later and later. That would be your 1am one. And then she wouldn't get up at 5 to eat. And then we started lessening the amount we gave her. It was a rough time for her but we also added cereal in the bottle to thicken it up but the quantity was less. Didn't take long before she was down to 2oz and then it was gone.

It will get better, either she'll learn to sleep or you'll learn to do without. I am amazed at what 6 straight hours of uninterputed sleep can do for me these days.

Elaine said...

Girl there is nothing wrong with being frustrated over lack of sleep, no matter where you've come from. Having a baby means less sleep for all and it's frustrating!!! It's real life. Yes, we went through alot to get our daughters BUT we still have to deal with the not so pleasant aspects of parenting (and there are many!) and praise God we get to love our baby girls and enjoy their smiles and coos too. I guess my point is it is okay to complain :) Life isn't a bed of roses ALL THE TIME with ANY baby (adopted OR conceived naturally on the first try!). I think that's why God made babies so darn CUTE. They give that little smile and suddenly you find strength for another tough night :)

Don't go at mothering alone! WE ALL feel this one at one time or another wether we blog about it or not!

Glad she is doing better. I do think that getting her to take all her feedings during the day will help her sleep better at night. CIO works too, but you have to be sure you are committed and prepare yourself for crying. If you know she is feed and is just fighting sleep letting her CIO will teach her when it is time to sleep and when it is time to be awake. It is a tough process BUT so worth it in the end because both baby and mama get good sleep consistently.

You're a great mommy. And we all know you love Faith tremendously and are not be ungrateful when you complain about no sleep!!!

Davis Family said...

I think it's good to be honest sometimes. I think there's a tendency when you adopt to feel extra guilty if you are having a hard time with a particular aspect of parenting. As if, because we adopted our sweet kiddos, we are somehow super parents who never have hard times. I've struggled with this so many times, especially with my very active and free spirited two year old. But I had a mentor who told me to always remember that each aspect of life is a season and that helps. But it also helps me to realize that just because getting to parenthood was hard, doesn't mean there won't be hard seasons. Anyway, I hope that encourages you and I hope you can get some sleep soon.

Amanda said...

I often feel the same way! Z has hit the terrible twos a litle early but I feel like if I complain, people will think I am ungreatful for him!

I'm glad she is sleeping better and I hope it keeps up

thiakaren said...

Seriously sleep deprivation is the worst.I am just now recovering and my boys are 25/23 : ) It's impossible to be cheery with no sleep. So be easy on yourself and realize it is normal! Both of my boys were terrible sleepers and it takes its toll. Drop her off at your moms and go take a really long nap. You will be back to perfect in no time. And of course you can complain. We are not perfect! Love and hugs Karen

Meant to be a mom said...

I completely understand and you have every right to need to let your feelings out about whats going on, Good or bad. Just because you are blessed with a beautiful gift of life doesn't mean that its always perfect and that you never get frustrated. Your a good mom. That's all that matters. I hope she can start sleeping better soon.

B MoM said...

one comment that has helped me previously was to not be too hard on yourself. It's tough to be the perfect mom that we strive to be. If doing one thing works for you and Faith, even if its not textbook perfect its ok...as long as it works for you. And although you complain, we all know how much you love Faith and are sooo very greatful for her. As we all are for our children after going through such a tough journey to get them!

Cresent Moon said...

Sleepless nights ARE hard, nothing to apologize there for!!! Glad she is getting somewhat better. Our little man was always a good sleeper, but whenever he got off schedule it was hell on wheels, especially since I get up at 5:30 am for work.

Something you might try that we do everynight and have for quite some time is giving her oatmeal right before bed and then then a bottle at bedtime. For example our little guy starts getting ready for bed about 7:30, I will give him his oatmeal, take him up give him is bath, and then he gets is bottle and he is in bed by around 8:00 pm and he sleeps through the night, he is up about 6-6:30 am. because I leave for work. Sometimes you will hear him in the night but I give him the chance to go back to sleep before I go in there, and we have CIO before to, VERY HARD, but it does work!!! Pediatrician said it was fine to do this as well!

Hope you guys get something figured out and both of you start getting some rest!!! Hang in there, you will get through this!!!

Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know that I’ve nominated you for the Beautiful Blogger Award. Check out my latest blog post for more info! :)

Anonymous said...

Faith's inconvenient sleeping habits won't be your only complaint about her throughout her life!

Take your hubby for example. I complain about him all the time: he smells funny, he's never here to visit, and he wears his hair like a damned hippy! (If you give me more time, I can think of lots more.)

We should all complain all we want--it's healthy!!! (probably on some level)

Nikki Hootman said...

Like I said before, I totally feel your pain. Beowulf is still up at least twice a night and I'm lucky if he's back down within 45 minutes. I'm really lucky if I get a total of 6 hours. Fortunately he usually sleeps from 10 - 12 so I get caught up then.

Anyway, don't feel like you can't gripe about your kid! Parenthood is tough and everyone knows that. If they don't they're dumb. :)

(And I am now dreading the swaddle-weaning... ay yi yi. If it's not one thing it's another! He's started getting one arm out already...)

Jennifer Fink said...

I'm glad you decided you felt comfortable enough to be honest. :)
I'll echo what everyone else said: Sleep deprivation IS hard. Parenting IS hard, even while it's wonderful, and even the best parents in the world occasionally feel like throwing their children out the window. The difference is that we *don't* do it. We pull ourselves together and do the whole thing all over again tomorrow, until it's better. And it will get better...until the next thing happens.

I'm a huge believer in honestly for parents, b/c if we all walk around looking like it's a piece of cake, we expect it should be a piece of cake -- and then feel guilty when we're the ones silently wondering why it's so hard and why we occasionally hate our babies or our spouses. Truth is, we ALL have those feelings, and the more we talk about them, the happier we'll be.

Dianne said...

Oh I hope she sleeps better soon! You poor thing!! Cute pics!

jodilee0123 said...

Jakob starting sleeping through the night around 6 weeks and would be up like Faith when he was sick or teething. It would come and go. Jada came home with her eyes wide open and still doesn't consistently sleep through the night and she is 19 months. We thought we may as well start the adoption process again and keep the sleep deprivation going! ;0)

Lost in Space said...

I don't see it as complaining at all - just a mom being honest about her day to day struggles of parenting. Not liking sleep deprivation doesn't mean you love Faith any less. (-;

Hang in there and I hope your little sweetie is giving you some relief soon.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin