Friday, July 9, 2010

Thoughts on Moving

In 6 days at this very moment I will be spending my first night in our new apartment, in our new city, in our new state. After 24 years as a California girl I will officially be a Texan. I have so many thoughts and feelings, excitements and fears and for my own record thought I would share.

Well I would first like to clarify contrary to popular belief we didn't necessarily want to move. When my hubby left his job in March we knew because of his industry there was a major lack of opportunity out in our area so by him leaving his job we knew that ultimatley we would be moving out of the area. So when we thought where we would like to move ( knowing we would eventually have to) we knew Austin was on our top 3 list. So many of you may have heard me talking about Austin for a while, and recently a friend even said to me" Well at least your getting what you want." And it made me realize I may have been giving the wrong impression. 

What I wanted of course would be to stay right here surrounded by our family and friends! But this choice wasn't really an option at all without having to start life all over from the bottom up. And having a baby and hopefully adopting again one day starting from ground zero just wasn't a real option for us.Plus we want the rest of the American dream, a home, more kids, a dog, a picket fence, the works. And living in Southern California wanting to be a stay at home mom living on a one person income it wasn't really an option. Sure I could go to work and we could buy a house but at the end of the day no house is worth not being able to spend my moments with Faith.

So Option Two was Austin. We had heard nothing but amazing things about the city, it is a huge cycling city and Hubby is a major cyclist. Houses are affordable, unemployment is low and as for the industry my husband works in, well its plentiful out in the Austin area. So God forbid anything happens at his current company then being in Austin we wouldn't have to uproot everything and start over. He could just switch to a different company in the same area.

And another thing about moving...while moving means leaving my friends and family it also means trusting my husband. As the God designed leader of the house I know that it is my responsibility as his wife to not only follow him but to support him. My husband would never do anything that I didn't approve of. He would never do anything to hurt me or put us in a bad situation so if he feels moving to Austin is the right thing then as his wife I trust him. As long as my husband is following God than I can follow my husband. And I am so thankful for a Godly man leading our household.

So as I have been spending the max amount of time with my friends and family these last several days it is definitley  hitting me how great I have it here. I have 5 of the best girl friends anyone could ever ask for T,S,A,M, and E you know who you are...I have an awesome support of family a mom and dad who will take Faith without me even asking and...well life is pretty darn perfect out here...But I know new things await us.

It will take time. I am sure I will have my highs and lows for a while but I know the Lord has wonderful things in store for us out in Texas. Sometimes I like to think that we will even meet our next birth mom out there :) But who knows...All I know is that IN ALL THINGS God works for the good of those who love him. I know He knows the plans He has for me, and I know he is able to do exceedingly above what I could ask or dream and so far in life He certainly has. My cup is over flowing and moving half way across the country won't change that.

I'm ready. I'm ready to move. I'm ready for new beginnings but more than anything I am ready to be with my husband again, as a family all together starting our new lives in Texas.

9 comments:

Janna said...

I love your attitude about such a big move! I didn't have that attitude when we moved halfway across the country, and it has definitely been hard. Yes, you'll miss your family and friends, but we've found that video chatting has really helped. Good luck!!! I know you're so ready to be a back in the same house with hubby! Maybe sometime when we're in TX visiting friends and fam, we can drive to Austin and meet for lunch! :)

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

:( ...I know that moving isn't fun and I couldn't image leaving my friends and family behind..however..lol..yeah its coming...you will be moving closer to me:)

~JLL~ said...

Well put......have a great move!

The Martins said...

H,

I've been there girl, Houston to Austin...but trusting in your hubs and following in obedience brings glory to God....so well done! I can't wait to meet you, I am praying for yall with the drive and a baby. Email me when you get here, we really want to bring yall dinner!

Brooke said...

Glad you are feeling ready. I am sure moving to another state is hard. Moving in general stinks but its usually fun to get to set up your new home. I hope all gos smoothly.

will + adri said...

Loving your blog and your adoption journey. Can you let me know where you found your adoption facilitator/attorney? Thanks for any advice!

Meant to be a mom said...

I hope things are great for you in Austin. I agree it will be an adjustment and you will miss your friends and family but you have a great attitude and I'm sure you will end up loving your new home.

Wishing you the very best :)

Deb said...

You have such a better attitude then I did. As the days got closer I just got sadder.
So bizarre that we flipped states.
Irving is a bit of a drive for you but thought I'd share the link to the adoption ministry I did things with. Their blog, http://tapestryblog.org/. They have a great free conference in October if you wanted to drive up and attend.
Wish you the best of luck in your new home, and I'm learning very well what you mean about living in South Cal with only one income, having a hard time finding some part time work here.

Dianne said...

Hey there!! We are all moved in too! Hopefully we can get together soon!!!! Let me know how you are doing!! Cant wait to meet you!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin